16.9.09

what do you do at work?

Recently, I have a lot of people asking me what do I do at work. I always hesitate telling people that I doing research. The words PHD\ Masters seem come with them a whole cocktail of conundrum and a whole string of related uncool vocabulary. This whole ingrained misconception of research being uncool, I came up with a hypotheses. Sour grapes. So this was how a conversation went one day, as I try to distance myself from the real nature of my work. I saw someone doing this on youtube, so I decide to test it out myself.

she : "Hey, hi nice to meet you. what do you do for a living?"
me : "I model stuffs."
she : "Woah. you model! what do you model?"
me: "I model genes."
she : "Levis jeans?"

Hur. You never know you can make genetic algorithm modeling of multi objectives prototypes sounds so cool huh. But it eventually backfires. But maybe 5years from now. I can try this next one.

she: "Hey, hi nice to meet you. what do you do for a living?"
me : "I am a doctor."
she : "Woah! what do you specialize in?"
me : "genetics."
she : "what exactly do you do at work?"
me : "Crossovers, mutation and recombination of chromosomes."
she : "where do you work?"
me : "sometimes on a platform with Dr Java."
she : "Woah an operating platform. and Dr Java I have no idea who is he. but can I visit you at work sometime?"
me : "of cos. when there is no coding to take care of."
she : "you deal with patients' code blue situation too! you must have a lot of responsibilities."
me : "yup. my doctor's work tends to have several objectives."

imagination. what's life without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment