23.6.11

group dynamics

Many students graduated after the performance last Saturday, among them was E. The good thing about having E around in the studio is that she and I belongs to the same age bracket. We faced the same concerns and share the same opinions on many issues. We challenge each other to see who can finish 10 spins first. We hide in corners to share a can of beer during rehearsals out of sight of the minors. Even though dance lessons resumed the Sunday after, without E, going to class did not feel the same anymore. I felt the importance of understanding group dynamics in people retention. I felt that I would more likely stay longer with the studio if E was around. It is not like as if there is not anyone else that I can talk to in class, but certain people are corner stones in social groups. Each of these characters adds their own flavor to the social group. Lately, I find myself more and more intrigued by this topic.

I shall go pick up some books on group dynamics later.

No comments:

Post a Comment