13.7.11

destiny

In his self introduction, he calls himself a “technomad” - a full-time technology-enabled globe-trotter. Brendan Lewis is doing what I have not the courage and am not able to rationally convince myself to do. He traveled the world for eight years. That’s 416 weeks, or almost 3,000 days. On his website "Fluent in 3 months", he listed 29 lessons learned in traveling the world for 8 years straight. Here, I highlight a point which I totally agree with.

4. There’s no such thing as destiny. 

According to him, "Destiny is used as a cop-out and standard excuse by most people for why they don’t do something with their lives.... Destiny may sound pretty and romantic when talked about how couples were meant to be together, but its other forms are bullshit excuses and unverified self-fulfilling prophecies."

Harsh words? People would naturally take the path with less resistance. Destiny provides them with the most convenient excuse to rationalize their failures and lack of courage to try. Even in relationships, destiny only acts up to the point when two people meet. Everything else after that is dictated by the desires and actions of both parties. I'm not a psych, but I think I can safely say when someone says 'You are not the one' deep down it just means 'I do not want you to be the one'. I won't rule out the element of luck totally. But opportunities are created by hard work; the harder and smarter you work the more opportunities will present themselves to you.

come Monday marks the end of my 309 days of holiday. corporate life..

No comments:

Post a Comment