13.7.11

valder fields

I was intrigued by this song precisely because I have no idea what the lyrics is about. I took the additional effort to search for some explanation on the internet and I found the Tamas Wells' blog.

[quote]
As a quick disclaimer, with all lyric writing there is a conscious level and a subconscious level. I don't say that in a pretentious way but simply to say that when you write a melody, the things that you sing are often complete nonsense. But.... sometimes in between the nonsense and stream of consciousness there is something that is you desperately want to express. So in a song like Valder Fields there is a stitching together of some of these moments within a broader stream of potential nonsense.

Some people would disagree and say that good song writing is about clear narrative or analogy but I prefer to stick to a method that is based in a degree of chaos. So for that reason I am not going to proceed to surgically dissect every word in the song and explain how it fits into some jigsaw puzzle esque coherent whole, but rather give you some ideas about what the song may be about.

So.... after that long preface and disclaimer, the song Valder Fields is about the tension between our life of responsibility and the life of chaos. There are many times that I feel like lying down and falling asleep on the warm concrete next to a fountain in the city square but I dont do that because I am late for a job interview or worrying about getting back to work in a department store (btw I dont actually work in a department store but i do know many fine people who do !) .

On the other side there are some people do live that life of complete abandon and irresponsibility but unfortunately they often find themselves locked up in psych wards after they get found lying asleep outside someones door in a bizarre gown or start crying uncontrollably when they say that they love their life.

So many of us end up living a life partway between responsibility and the chaos of complete abandon. I read a book by a Dutch economist who said that the "modern" man (or woman) is beset by the twin thrusts of modernity: one toward "progress" and a desperate striving for success (as we see in the way our global markets are structured with an absolute need for growth) and the other toward an ideal of individual freedom where we have the liberty to choose not to succeed or "progress".

So as I said people end up with a life partway between these.....Perhaps I am straying off the topic a little but hopefully that gives you a little more background to the song- or perhaps if you are reading this blog you may be more confused.
[unquote]


I Was Found On The Ground By The Fountain
about A Field Of A Summer Stride
lying In The Sun After I Had Tried
lying In The Sun By The Side
we All Agreed That The Council Would
end Up Three Hours Over-Time

shoelaces Were Tied At The Traffic Lights
i Was Running Late, Could Apply
for Another One, I Guess
after Parking Stores Are Best
they Said That There Would Be Delays
on The Temporary Pay

for Another One I Guessed
after Parking Stores At Best
they Said That There Would Be Delays
on The Temporary Pay

she Was Found On The Ground In A Gown
laying By The Field Of The Summer Asleep
staring At The Concrete, Trying Not To Cry
when Somebody Left His Life

she Would Never Sleep In A Gown
so She Takes His Keys To The Bedroom Door
takes A Step Outside, By The Fountain
gazing At The Field, What A View

what's your interpretation?

No comments:

Post a Comment