18.10.07

rights

Today, when I boarded the bus back from a routine grocery trip to Carrefour, the bus driver kindly reminded me that there would not be any bus services tomorrow. It took a while before the news sink in, but it was no surprise. Tomorrow is the 19th of Oct; the day when the workers in the transport industry would be be going on strike. The transport network would cease tomorrow and the county's heart would skip a beat. Strikes in France are no secrets. It was published in the papers a month ago so that people have ample time to make arrangements to carpool and as such... perhaps also for the government to have sufficient time to draft out a compromising agreement.

Trying fruitlessly to draw parallel from my personal experience, I couldn't help but notice that such a well-coordinated nationwide strike is not plausible in my country. We really a country of harmlessly obedient people. So much so that we would only complain to one another, accept any policies and then wimp in a corner. I always believed that governments should listen to their people. Let's hope this is just a mild stroke and not a heart attack; and life would return to normalcy the day sfter. Thankfully, I'm sure that this won't be another Myanmar.

From the myopic student point of view, classes might be cancelled tomorrow if some of the professors got held back! yay!

I would always be behind the bus uncle. figuratively & literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment