1.12.07

rhetoric

I can't say that I'm in a state of utter despondency but it has been a while since I felt really happy. I won't blame the company that I'm keeping, cos really they are a good bunch. Neither would I blame myself, cos I know I'm far from being an antisocial nut case. Nonetheless, I would really appreciate that people do not try to impose their values on me. Being constantly bombarded with heavily nuanced questions that question my lifestyle, I have a feeling that I would soon stand on the side of anti establishment. Why do you sleep at 11pm and wake up at 6am? Why do you work so hard? I believe that all if you would have easily found the answers to the above two questions. Even though I have an answer to these questions too, I would usually choose not to reply them. Rhetorical questions, I feel, are not meant to be answered. It makes me wonder why do people not do things that are good for them? However, I usually stop short of trying to rationalize with them, as more often than not, things will turn awkward. I figured it would be wiser to not spoil the mood then. Thus, I would just forced out a smile, one that is already near perfection due to constant practice, and a pacifying nod of acknowledgment.

One of the most classic of such questions came when I was packing my groceries into the plastics bags at a supermarket counter one day. I advised my friend to pack more stuffs into each plastic bags as he was indiscriminately pulling out the plastic bags from its holder. Then, came the rhetoric ,"You are not even paying for it. Why save?"

A rhetorical question can always be responded with another rhetorical question. Tired and hungry, I decided to let that statement pass. but...

why waste?

No comments:

Post a Comment