9.12.08

anchor

Recently, I sent in an application for a consulting internship in the Middle East. If successful, it would be take me another step further away from my comfort zone. Some people asked me if I am punishing myself with such a harsh decision to stay away from home and away from my family and friends for such an extended period of time. I haven't told my parents about it as I can already anticipate their resounding disapproval. It is just an application, nothing is being cast in stone yet. But the longer I stay away from home, the fewer the number of reasons I can find to go back.

Over lunch yesterday, a friend asked,"Isn't it sad for one to think about things that way you do. There is more to life than career." It was not the first time I have heard a question like this. Paraphrased differently, they all came with the same intent. Every time I hear it, I really do feel a little pathetic and pitiful. However, now, I am starting to see it from a slightly differently perspective. I could never tell if the question was asked with the kind intention of knocking some sense into a workaholic, pleading for him to get a life outside work; or with a tinge of jealousy from lesser beings with the intention to slow down their more motivated peers.

It was sad leaving Singapore for the first time. However, it didn't hurt at all the second time it happened. I was looking forward to leave.

In fact, I was glad to leave.

3 comments:

  1. If it was a friend, he probably meant the former. You may really need to re-examine your views if you need to have to doubt a friend's intention isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a very broad definition for friend. and i really do need to review myself too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe. however do you also treat every friend with sincerity based on your definition of 'friend'? I cannot help but feel sorry for your friend who may have the best intentions and yet be doubted like this.

    ReplyDelete