23.6.10

banking on volunteers

That was the catch phrase we wore on our sleeves as we walked through the gates of a home for the disabled. It was heart wrenching when we first stepped into the room. My heart swelled. The residents were unable to take care of themselves; some had limited ability to interact. Through interactions were pretty much one way, we managed to get them to warm up. Simple hand gestures and key words helped us understand the messages which they were trying to convey. It felt good to see them laugh. Christopher was so amazing that I had to see if for myself to believe. Given a date, he can actually tell you the day of that date. We tested. He was able to give us the exact day for a particular date in 2006. When asked how he managed it, he simply replied,"I count." I gave him a hug. I felt I needed it.

Everyone's special.

No comments:

Post a Comment