7.1.08

happenstance

4th Jan 2008(Friday) 1130am. Sunny. Madrid.

I just checked out from my hostel and was on my way to the airport. He probably spotted me from afar and decided to execute his plan. An impromptu decision based on opportunity. I
probably fitted his profile of a easy target - a non Spanish speaking Asian tourist who is traveling alone. He repeated his line "Japanese. Football very good." and mimicked a football player kicking a ball. He swiveled his body towards me with a clockwise swing of his left leg. I felt something brush the pockets of my jackets as he shoved me slightly against the wall. I let my hand drop towards my sides and pushed him back gently.

As I took a turn into a secluded street, he closed the distance between us and tried to build a rapport.
"¡Hola amigo! cigarette?"
"No."
"You Japanese? Football. Football very good."
I decided to save myself the trouble of explaining, gave him a curt smile and let him swim in his pool of doubt. I have a plane to catch. Determined to break my stride, he gave a second attempt.

He repeated his rehearsed sequence; kicking higher this time. As I felt his hand in the pocket of my jacket, the first thing that crossed my mind - he is trying to outrage my modesty. After which, things turned ugly. I knocked him with my backpack and tried to grab for his hand. Before he fell and got away, he managed to pull out something from my pocket.. Damn. He took my only packet of tissue paper on a day when I was having a running nose. Good thing I don't keep my money in my pockets. Afterthought: You know where they say Japanese tourists hide their money? Fortunately, that pickpocket didn't work along that idea; I don't want his hand to be grabbing at those places.

"the other side of a beautiful city" - cj

"He grew up in a rough neighbourhood."

No comments:

Post a Comment