25.2.08

anger

I think I'm having anger issues. I can get really disturbed by, in retrospect, seemingly unimportant issues; things that I would usually brush aside before I became so angry. Good news is this angry phase had only just begun and; thus far, even when I'm angry, I've been able to keep conversations as civil as possible. No victims yet.. i hope.. It only just dawned upon me how angry and resentful a person I have become. In the name of self help, I spent four whole hours reading and leaning from articles on anger management.

Are you angry?
Do friends and family feel free to share their thoughts and feelings with you? Has anyone ever said s/he is afraid of you? Does your spouse and/or friends avoid conflict with you? Have you ever called someone a bitch, bastard or some other derogatory name? Have you ever surprised yourself by how angry you got and by what you did? Sadly, currently, I reconciled with so many of these identifying questions.

Expressing Anger
I'm not a naturally aggressive person, suppressing anger whenever it arise, focusing on something positive and hoping that it would convert into something more constructive. However, I read that anger turned inward may cause hypertension, high blood pressure, or depression. Pathological expressions of anger, such as passive-aggressive behavior (getting back at people indirectly, without telling them why, rather than confronting them head-on) or a personality that seems perpetually cynical and hostile.

Anger Management
I have already stuck bright cheerful yellow post-it pads all around my table, windows, mirrors to constantly remind myself that I'm in control of my own anger. The advice is to:-
1) Relax one corner, adopt breathing techniques, imagine or yoga.
2) Cognitive Restructuring. This involves not cursing and over reacting, reminding myself that getting angry is not going to fix anything, that it may actually make you feel worse. Logic defeats anger. So I would have to use cold hard logic on myself.
3) Use Humor. I'll start thinking of a classmate as "single-cell life form," for example, an amoeba sitting at his desk, talking on the phone. So dun always think I'm tying to hit on you when i look at you and smile.

i'm getting there. slowly but surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment