29.10.10

inside fb

Social network is becoming such a huge phenomenon that I think it should become a module in itself. It's becoming so big it has websites thefacebookinsider.com to answer your questions on Farmville and Mouse Hunt and insidefacebook.com to track the changes to the platform. Now, facebook is trying to understand the complexities of human relationships by simplifying them into sorting and page ranking algorithms to help improve user experience. Recently, it announced that photo memories no longer shows your ex's photos and new friendship pages to show mutual content. I can see all the sociologists and behavioural scientists faces lit up now. With the new friendship pages, we can now "get a more in depth look by aggregating facebook contents." They now have another avenue to study people's interaction and relationship with one another.

While the two posts continue to discuss the various social issues that can come with jealousy and curiosity, I'm finding it more and more uncomfortable to post anything on anyone's wall now. I find it creepy for any 3rd party to look at the mutual pages of me and any of my friends. Wonder how are they going to apply privacy settings for this one.. perhaps a new friend ranking system. I can see how flawed this is going to turn out for me, considering that I post comments more often on the walls of people I do not hang out with and sms/msn those that I am closer to.

still, I can't wait to catch The Social Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment