16.11.10

the danger

The sky was dark and we were walking along a relatively deserted stretch of road. With the occasional car, the pulse of the traffic was probably beating at below metabolic baseline. It was tranquil; peaceful. Suddenly, maybe it was a flash or a blinking light, something caught her eye. Reflexively, she lunged herself onto the road and shouted, "Hurry! Cross the road!" I caught the urgency in the voice and made a quick sweep of the T junction. There was only a car slowing to a stop at the red light.

What was there? Did I missed something? Was there an incoming car? Was she worried for my safety? Was the bus we were trying to catch arriving?

"Hurry!", she insisted.

My heart skipped a beat. I glanced at her; she has already cleared the road. I held my breath and made the split second decision to dash across the nearly empty road. Once I was by her side, while gasping for air, I asked with concern, "what happened?". Happy that we had made it across on time, she chirped..

.."the pedestrian crossing. the green man was blinking already."

No comments:

Post a Comment