4.2.11

Awesome #23 when you roll up your sleeves and pants to play soccer

On the first day of Chinese New Year, the last thing I am appropriately dressed for is soccer. In fact, I was in my new long sleeves shirt and pants. Being a sucker for New Year goodies and red packets, I am easily cajoled (or arrowed) into taking care of the noisy kids. The two 12 year old boys were kicking a ball around in the house, doing a somersault in bed to land an overhead volley, ramming the ball at the false wall, dangerously dribbling around people and heading balls that ricocheted off the ceiling. In order to maintain peace in the household, extend the lifespan of the furniture and reduce any loss and injuries to life and limbs, I was asked to bring them outside to play ball. Mistakenly thinking that all I have to do is to watch over them while they kicked the ball around the field, I agreed to it between bites of the bwa kwa.

I had misread those words and those kids. Clearly, they are not going to let me stand under the shady tree in my clean white shirt and sip packet box winter melon juice. Before long, they got bored of kicking the ball to each other. They came over and challenged me.

They: Hey let's play 2 versus 1. Two of us (two 12 year olds) against you.
Me: I do not want to sweat in my new year clothes.
They: OK. We give you a 5 point head start.
Me (not going to entertain some kids) : I do not want to sweat in my new year clothes.

Seeing that this conversation is not going anywhere, they started kicking the muddy ball at my white shirt. Dodge it once, twice, a third time; finally I gave in. Crap. I got blackmailed by two 12 year old. I rolled up my jeans and sleeves. I'm going to show them what is it like to challenge people who are twice their age. It was a little hard to lobang them as their legs are short, but I managed somehow.
'soccer with kids. Outrun. Outclass. Outwit.'-cj
The free spirited spontaneity of rolling up my long pants for a quick game of soccer was...

AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment