9.8.07

Singapore

Often my self introduction would end up being a geography lesson.
Me : “Hi. My name is Jun Yong.”
He : "Where are you from?"
Me : "I am from Singapore."
He : "Where in China is Singapore?"

I guess if 'ignorance' is the name of his game, then 'patience' would be mine.
Me : "Singapore is at the end of Malaysia."
He : "Where is malaysia?"
Me : "..."

Nonetheless, some conversations are more interesting.
He : "There are 4 seasons in France, so how many seasons are there in Singapore?"
Me : "Two."
He : "Summer and Winter? No. It is not possible."
Me : (grinning) "No. Monsoon season and non-Monsoon."

Today a wave of nostalgic patriotism swept thought me. Thus, I decided to post a National Day Special Edition. What does it mean to be a Singaporean? I have never thought about that whilst I was in Singapore. After the countless presentations to many classes of international students, I realized that Singapore’s identity isn’t just about chilli crabs. Multicultural, meritocracy, english speaking, tech-savvy and the list goes on. I can't define it, but it is definitely not as simple as chilli crabs.

these were taken duiring a preview. I used some of them in my presentation about Singapore.

first water based perfomance.
doesn't the view gets nicer as the sun sets.
i know it sounds cliche but is that a bird?
how bout these?
uh huh. this leads me to my all time favourite Calvin and Hobbes's joke. what is scarier and deadlier than land dwelling tyranosaurs?
tyranosaurs flying F-16s. hahahaha. gosh.
im so lucky to be able to catch the firing off. too bad the background is ugly.
We have cutting edge technology. Many of you probably dun think much about the floating platform

We have cutting edge technology. Many of you probably dun think much about the floating platform at Marina Bay, but I showed them the pictures above, most of my classmates stared in disbelief. “It’s not possible? How do you make it float?”, they asked. I replied them with a wink and a nod.
I’m proud of being a Singaporean.

No comments:

Post a Comment