30.12.10

sounds of rain

I was sitting beside the window when it began to rain. 'ting ting ting'. I watched the rain drops landing resonantly on the aluminum sill. Other less fortunate droplets landed directly on the vertically edge and were sliced into two; they went without a sound. On the window sill was an orchestra of glass bottles balanced precariously; some were upright others were upside down. Droplets that landed on them gave out a different but clearer 'ding ding ding'. The collective chime was magically musical.

The rain then got heavier and
the bad weather orchestra picked up its rhythms and intensity. There was no need to shift myself as I was safely seated clear of the direct and ricocheting water pellets. The symphony reached a climax when the small rapid trickling of water from overhanging edges quickly coalesce into a bigger drop before falling into the puddle below. They angrily worked up the base of the set with regular 'thud thud thud'.

As the rain drew closer its end, the peacefulness of the sounds were restored. I looked up at the sky and was disappointed not so see any rainbow. Before you question my musicians' acumen or marvel at my hidden musicality, I have to admit that this was not the first thing that came to my mind when I heard the rain. The first thing that popped up into my mind was...

... if I time the intervals of each 'ting' or 'ding' will I find a hidden Fibonacci series?

No comments:

Post a Comment